Thursday, April 22, 2010

I'll get to this blog post...eventually

My mom used to call me “last minute Charlie” because of my propensity for waiting, waiting, waiting until the last minute to finish school projects (mom had a right to not only name me thusly, but to also do it with malice aforethought – how many term papers did she have to type for me on the night before they were due?  And yes, I wrote “type”.  We used a typewriter when I was in school, okay?  Because that’s how long ago it was.  And no, we did not have an abacus.)

I have not only made peace with my tendencies toward procrastination.  I have invited the bloke to live in my house, to share my meals, to become my closest companion.  None of this is to say that I like that part of me.  To the contrary, there are days when I wish I could exhibit Covey-like proactivity, break a project down into its component parts, and start knocking off the tasks between the relevant milestones, chunk by chunk.  I know my family would be happier with me.  My clients would be happier with me.  My church would doubtless be happier with me.

But I wonder, would God?

Is procrastination a sin, ipso facto?

Like many behavioural "ticks", doesn't procrastination's sinfulness sort of depend?

No comments:

Post a Comment